Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Comic Book Maw: 24th August, 2011


Welcome! The Comic Book Maw is a weekly, or as close to weekly round up of what comics I got, and what I thought to be good, and or bad. Hopefully it might sway you to avoid or pick a book or two. Enjoy!


The Bad:
Mystermen #4(of 5): Just seemed to be good but I have lost all interest in the book with one more to go. Such a tonal shift has left me shaken, and I don’t care to see how the story wraps up.

Red Wing #2(of 4): Became so predictable, I hate to say that Hickman is loosing his edge, but just like with Bendis, he may be hitting his plateau a little early.

Baltimore in The Curse Bells #1: Story was your standard revenge vampire hunting tail. Never really hooked me. Characters seemed quite flat.

The Good:


DC Retroactive: Superman in the 1980’s: A great story, and great send off for the the character by Marv Wolfman(Teen Titans; Crisis On Infinite Earths) and Sergio Cariello(Dynamite’s Lone Ranger). Simply for the fact that it captures what I love the most about Superman. He is the best of humanity. He is what we could be, and if you think back to Mark Millar’s Red Son if a Editor wanted he could be the last human. But regardless it was a great tale that showed Superman the wickedness that would occur in the DCU from 1984 to the present. Something the Man of Steel didn’t care for. Also, it ties into Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the art work here is great.

DC Retroactive: Justice League America in the 1990’s: The Bwa-Haha Era of the JLA is back, with Giffen, DeMatteis, and Maguire. Filled with a great writing, funny characters, a good story, nostalgia, and great art it makes me miss a era that I only knew through Back Issues.

Superman Beyond #0: Spinning out of the world of Batman Beyond is this set up tale for the future of Superman. By Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz, and Sal Buscema, the same team that did “Thunderstrike” at Marvel, Superman Beyond is a fun tale that is true to the core beliefs of the Man of Steel. Even though it had one scene where Supes is stabbed through the chest, it could be a great read for a younger reader.



Avengers Academy #18(Fear Itself Tie In): I am not reading Fear Itself. I don’t want to. Fraction sold out. Besides that Avengers Academy is a great read that works on its own, and has great character development in this issue. Also, the Microverse. Does Marvel have the Micronauts liscense?

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #10: Last issue before this Fall’s limited series return by writer Nick Spencer. This had a great ending, very dramatic, and though the series was a slow burn it’s flashbacks got me hooked. Never knew I liked Mike Grell art.

FF #8: This was the proving issue. I suffered through two issues of a expositional, boring, Inhuman-centric story that killed the book for me. Great use of the characters, though the ending was wonky, felt like it was the middle part of a bigger issue that was cut off before finishing proper.



Hellboy: The Fury #3(of 3): Though this was spoiled for me about being the death of Hellboy, I still got a kick out of it. I really look forward to the Hellboy in Hell story next year. Hopefully Mignola will illustrate it, instead of using these artists that clone his efforts.

Uncanny X-Force #13: Still in the Age of Apocalypse Universe, the X-Force team really can’t seem to catch a break, but it makes for good story telling. I love the Deadpool in this comic. He’s comically deadly.



Batman: Under the Red Hood TPB: I hated Judd Winick. I mean HATED. But my online buddy Kristen, recommended the Under the Red Hood movie which I liked, and then recommended the Complete Collection to me as well, I loved it all. Also 15 comics under the hood for $30(cheaper if you buy online) that’s a great deal.

Batman: Hush TPB: The complete collection of the story that wasn’t the greatest Batman story ever, but was a fun popcorn comic that was light, and featured pretty much every single player in the DC Universe of that time. Probably won’t see anything like this again for a while.

Aftermath:
Pretty good. Though I am not picking up any initial DCnU’s comics, I will be back to them in three months time to see how everything shook loose. I can go without them. I am hardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment